Diamond Files are manufactured by electroplating diamond on to steel blanks using nickel. Providing this process is done correctly diamond needle files can offer a fantastic abrasive for a variety of applications. The distribution of diamond particles enables the diamond needle file to not only cut in all directions but also produce a much better finish.
Due to the hardness of diamond, diamond files can be used on a variety of materials that other abrasives will not have an impact upon.
Here are our top ten uses for diamond files:
1. Sharpening fishing hooks - one of the most important tools of an angler has to be his hook and in carp fishing in particular this has to be razor sharp (sticky sharp) The use of a Flat 900 grit diamond needle file is ideal for this due to its size and profile. It is very important that the very hard to find diamond escapement file is used for this operation, this allows dexterous filing all around the hook point.
2. Bevelling cut crystal glasses - we all know it is very easy to chip the rim of your precious crystal glass and due to the cost of replacing one in a set, using a diamond needle file can be far more economical to bevel the lip of the glass. It is essential that a 600 grit diamond file is used and half round shape is by far the most versatile for the contour of the glass.
3. Shaping precious stones for jewellery - precious stones can be extremely hard, especially quartz, sapphire and ruby, and when setting stones into jewellery small alterations may be required. No other abrasive will have such an effective impact as a diamond needle file. Fine grades such as the 600 and 900 grit are ideal for making these small adjustments.
4. Sharpening carbide cutting tools - over time tungsten carbide cutting tools will dull and it is often easier to have a hand tool abrasive that you can take straight to the cutting tool, rather than having to take a cutting tool to an electric grinding wheel. 600 grit diamond files are the best grade for this application.
5. Enlarging holes - round diamond needle files can be used for opening up a huge array of holes in hardened surfaces. Small screw holes in watches and clocks to holes in jewels and beads can all be opened up with a small diamond file. Choose small diamond files that are either 600 or 900 grit for the best results.
6. Fitting clock and watch glasses - sometimes when fitting watch or clock crystals the sizes need to be altered slightly, the use of a 600 grit diamond needle file will produce the required result in minimal time.
7. Refacing clock & pallets - clock and watch pallets are very hard and become burred and mis-shapen over time. The use of a fine diamond file can radically change the surface of the pallet for a more efficient movement.
8. Repivoting clock and watches - removing the burrs and wear from pivots is often difficult due to its hardness, especially in French clocks. The use of a 600 grit diamond needle file can have the pivot running smoothly in no time at all.
9. Sharpening household objects - scissors, penknives, garden tools, kitchen knives, small screwdrivers can all be sharpened to a razor sharp finish in very little time. You can use various sizes of diamond file for this application but a 600 grit is recommended.
10. Cross graining burnishing tools - over time burnishing tools lose their burnishing ability, only diamond files can re-address the cross grain of a sapphire burnished or hardened steel burnisher. Opt for the 600 grit for the best results.